At Spex, our people are our most important asset. They are the living, pulsing heart of our business, the ambassadors of our playfully sophisticated brand, and the secret behind our phenomenal reputation for exceptional eye care.
Our culture is open, entrepreneurial, and customer-focused. This is reflected in the way we structure our people processes – starting from hiring, through new hire induction, and continuing with training and development. Our business supports committed, focused individuals to realize their full potential.
Why Work at Spex?
The culture at Spex is based on the principle of hiring enthusiastic people who take pride in their work and surrounding those people with a supportive management team that enables them to have a long and successful career.
We recognize that a diverse workforce enhances the customer experience. Everyone at Spex contributes uniquely to the company.
“I love that everyone works together as a team, without focus on their title.” Gina S.
With 24 Chicago locations, (and our resort location in Hilton Head, South Carolina) mention the name “Spex” and people know us as the neighborhood boutique that focuses on your optical needs. For over 20+ years we have remained matchless in our offering of unparalleled luxury eyewear collections and state-of-the-art eye care technology and fun in-store, as well as off-site, events. Join us and brag about where you work!
“I take pride in my job. I want customers to get the full and ultimate experience,” Alice A.
Through our hiring process we strive to source candidates who can convert their passion into action. We hire individuals who are rewarded by helping customers look and feel like a million bucks. Building long-term customer relationships is the heart and power of what we do best; exceeding their expectations – every day, is simply what we love to do.
Our eye care expertise and superior customer service helped us garner “best eyewear store” two years running — 2014 and 2015, by the readers of Chicago READER in the ‘best of Chicago’ annual poll.
Thrive in your career and love what you do! Join our Spex family!
“Working at Spex is fun because of the daily interactions we have with patients. They allow us to help them find their Spex appeal with our stylish frames. The interactions and experiences are always different and makes it that much more fun,” Greg A. and Sonia S.
A career at Spex is truly a one-of-a-kind experience. It is much more than working for Chicago’s premier optical boutique. It is an opportunity to be a part of a growing company dedicated to providing a challenging and rewarding work environment.
The ongoing expansion of Spex offers numerous career opportunities at a variety of levels. We provide comprehensive training to qualified individuals who excel in customer service, one-on-one client development, and teamwork.
Optical experience preferred but not required.
Spex provides comprehensive training to qualified individuals.
Current open positions are listed below. To apply for any open position or if you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume to: Careers@SpexOptical.com
OPEN POSITIONS:Manager, Full-time – WinnetkaOptician, Full-time – Highland ParkOptician Floating, Full-time – North RegionOptician, Full-time – Lake ForestOptician, Full-time – ElmhurstOptician, Full-time – Lincoln SquareOptician, Full-time – Old TownOptical Tech, Part-time – Oak Park
Wellness is an important part of our company culture and our employee’s wellness is important to us.
When it comes to benefits and perks, Spex has a robust benefits package.
Our benefits are designed to take care of the whole you. Keeping you all around healthy – physically, emotionally, financially, and socially.
Our benefits include:
• Short-and Long-Term Disability
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) savings plan with company match
• Employee Discount Program
• Paid Holidays
• Paid Vacation
• Paid Personal Time
• Employee Assistance Program
• Transit program
Commitment To Our Community
Spex is a local company that takes Community Responsibility seriously, after all we are a community store.
We actively support our neighborhoods and local schools. We host in-store events such as ART+VISION which showcases local artists in the neighborhoods we serve. Each store has its own unique community outreach. Some events include Farmer’s Markets, Retro On Roscoe, and Naperville’s Makin’ Strides For Strays walk-a-thon to note just a few of our numerous neighborhood engagements.
We continue to partner with some great organizations throughout the city of Chicago.
• Little City Foundation: Spex is the presenting sponsor of Little City Foundation’s Poker Tournament & Casino Night, “Seeing Hope Together,” helping to raise over $130k at their annual ‘gaming for a cause’ casino night in support of Little City’s noble efforts with children and adults managing autism and related developmental disabilities.
• Eversight Illinois: We are a proud co-sponsor of the Eversight Illinois annual spring fundraising gala, held at The Peninsula Chicago, for the past six years. Eversight Illinois (formerly Illinois Eye-Bank) is an organization dedicated to the restoration of sight.
• By The Hand Club For Kids: We’re proud to team up with By The Hand Club For Kids. A Chicago-based after school program that emphasizes academic excellence while nurturing the whole child–mind, body, and soul. Our doctor and optician volunteers prep stations for eye exams and custom fit current eyewear, all donated by Spex– for the children and young adults who participate in By The Hand programs.